Thursday, September 27, 2007

Nordie Day


Yesterday I drove to Phoenix for a visit to my favorite store, Nordstrom. I've almost given up on Tucson ever getting one. Although they say now that Pima County has hit the magic 1 million mark in population, it may be more likely. At one time, there was speculation that Nordstrom could move into the Tucson Mall, since there's now an empty department store there. I don't know. I went to the Tucson Mall today for the first time in a long time, and it seemed kind of empty. Most of the stores were occupied, but there weren't a whole lot of shoppers. Of course, it's Thursday, but still. Whenever I've got to Scottsdale Fashion Square, it's always hopping.

Be that as it may, it was nice to shop at Nordstrom. I had to return a skirt that I didn't use on the Alaska cruise, and I ended up getting some nice, comfy jeans. Had a nice chat with the salesgirl who was from Tucson, Sahuaro High. Then I went to check out Whole Foods in Tempe. I was somewhat disappointed. It didn't have as much neat stuff as Whole Foods I've been to in New Orleans, Seattle, and Boulder. It was more like a Wild Oats (boo). But there was still enough good prepared food that I got things for a couple of meals. I'm still glad that the Tucson Wild Oats stores will become Whole Foods, but I'm not as excited as I was before.



Now I have to get a baseball thought off my chest. A lot has been said about players who do and don't "play through pain". Roger Clemens has been made out to be Superman because at age 63 or however old he is, he gets cortisone shots and still pitches. Nothing is ever said about Randy Johnson. He's had 2 back surgeries in the last year, and I have to think that's pretty unpleasant. He has pitched with back pain for who knows how much of his career (including last year in NY when he still won 16 games, but the fans didn't appreciate him), and is one of the best left-handed pitchers of all time, if not one of the best pitchers, period. I really hope he comes back and pitches next year, whether he gets the appreciation he deserves or not. I feel fortunate that I've gotten to see him pitch quite a few times.

1 comment:

dani said...

i heard a little rumor that there is going to be a nordstrom up by tangeringe...i'm keeping my fingers crossed!